click images for sources
35 years ago today, a little baby me took her first breath of air. three and a half decades later, i remain a work in progress, just as we all are. it is in the interest of progress that i began the loose leaf traditon -now in it's 3rd year- of compiling a list of goals for the year ahead. you can visit my first two lists here and here. i can't quite explain it yet, but this feels like an important year for me. i sense a great deal of positive change ahead. haven't felt this way in some time and i welcome it more than i can say. so without further ado and in no particular order, here is my list of 35 things to do in my 35th year...
(pink = done)
1. actually put something up for sale on the loose leaf tigers etsy shop that's been sitting empty since february 2009 (!)
2. visit the renegade craft fair in any of it's incarnations (preferably San Francisco or Brooklyn)
3. complete at least two workshops/classes - you're never too old to learn something new! 3/2 (completed an online painting workshop called Get Your Paint On. you can read about it here , also attended a scriptwriting presentation and an animation software demo)
4. work on the handbook i've been daydreaming about - i'd like to see an outline at the very least
5. actually use the benefits alotted for massage that my work offers. i have never been for a massage in this country. this must be remedied.
6. submit a piece of writing to a magazine/newspaper/website - anywhere!
7. spend as much time as i possibly can creating -be it painting, drawing, taking photos or writing, giving as little thought as possible to mistakes and failure and all that yucky stuff
- ima give myself half o this one. i coulda spent more time creating, but i made a strong effort to block out my inner critic this year, and for that i applaud myself *(it really was no easy task)
8. have something on display somehwere - ideally a little art show in a cafe or some such thing [k, so i haven't done this yet, but there's an art show coming up at my work and i've marked the submission day down on my calendar. this one'll have to trickle into 36 :)]
9. go camping in the beautiful northern regions of the province i call home
10. get new specs
11. lose 20 pounds (i've lost ten since January 1st! 20 more to go)
12. quit smoking. for ten years i've been holding my 35th birthday as the day i finally kick the habit. this one starts tomorrow. wish me luck!
13. learn german. my dad gave me a German language CD for christmas, so i'm on my way! - 'nother trickler. i've signed up for a German class that starts in April
14. pay off my credit cards. pesky buggers.
15. learn to swim
16. get photoshop and take a refresher course. (refreshing myself)
17. get a lens for my camera that lets me open the aperture to 1.8
18. learn to develop my own photos
19. find a studio space that i can actually afford to rent
20. reorganize and revamp this blog
21. take a funny picture of my husband and I with our dog to use as a christmas card
22. have a girls only weekend getaway with my ladyfriends
23. visit the Museum of Modern Art
24. eat at summerlicious - i always say i'm going to, but i've only been once and that was years ago
25. learn to play at least one song on guitar
26. go to the jazz age lawn party on governor's island
27. read at least 10 books 8/10
28. have a drink (or two) at a swim up pool bar
29. try hot yoga
30. play outside more
31. get a new bike. the one i bought off craig's list last year was a rip off and barely made it through the season :(
32. go on a road trip and complete volume three of my Road Chronicles DVD
33. learn to meditate
34. see more of my family. my brother moved to a new house (albeit a 3 hour drive away) like a year ago, and i haven't even seen it yet. shame on me.
35. attempt, once again, to accomplish all the things i missed from last year’s list
thank you all for indulging me. i hope it feels like your birthday today, even if it isn't! i'm off to dinner with my lovely husband. bonsoir darlings!