Monday 16 May 2011

yesterday's muse # 24 - ivy nicholson



forgive me for being vague, but i wasn't able to find a great deal of information on Ivy, so i'll just share with you what i did find...



born Irene Nicholson in Queens, New York, Ivy started modeling at age 16. in the 1950s she graced the covers of Vogue, Elle and Harper's Bazaar, among others. as many of her contemporaries would do, Ivy sought out acting roles once the end of her twenties began to loom. somewhere in her search she found Andy Warhol, and was cast in minor roles in a number of his films.




i know that at some time in her life she married and divorced a Count (DePoleon), with whom she had a son Darius -consequently a Viscount- who plays in a band called Eurotrash, made up of other entitled Europeans ;) Ivy has three other children, Sean Bolger, a Los Angeles fashion photographer, and twins Penelope and Gunther Palmer, whose father John is also in showbiz. Penelope was a child actress and her twin brother a child model. Gunther is now a drummer and vocalist in a band called Stagefright.



3 comments:

Jeff Chappell said...

Hi Heidi,

Long-time reader, first time commmenter. I stumbled across your blog some time ago while looking for info on a certain photographer -- it might have been Irving Penn, but I really don't recall. Anyway, I was really taken with most of the artwork and photography you feature here, so had to add you to my RRS feed.

Do you happen to know who the photographer is on the first two Ivy Nicholoson photos you posted? And the last two? Did they all come from the Life archives?

Oh, and I think the "What's Your Damage" series is cool -- I might have to do that on my own blog.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And have some poutine for me (I'm assuming you can find this in Toronoto easier than you can in Cincinnati).

Poke Salad Annie said...

Thank you so much for your comment Jeff, and for the kind words!

Let's see...the first and last photo of Ivy were taken by Nat Farbman, for Life.

the second photo is from a magasine editorial showcasing Givenchy hats, but i'm afraid i don't know who the photographer was on that one.

the second last one is by Regina Relang.

and yes, i will most certainly have some poutine for you! any excuse to eat poutine is a good one :D

Jeff Chappell said...

Ah, thank you so much. I'm not sure how I've missed these two in my studies -- both are pretty amazing photographers, particularly Farbman -- he seems to have been able to do it all, flawlessly.